This is part two in a series of articles on exercise motivation. Part one is here.
Here are some thoughts and tips for dealing with those days (or weeks) when you either don’t feel like exercising or have too much going on to get in a regular workout. This assumes you’re doing a comprehensive, structured program, such as P90X, INSANITY, or Turbo Fire.
First things first: Don’t get down about it! Everyone has these days, weeks, and even months or years. Just accept it and move on. The most important factor is that you do exercise the majority of days out of the week/weeks out of the month.
Here are some tips for dealing with lack of motivation:
- Go for a walk on your lunch break or after dinner.
- Try working out at a different time of day. It’s common to become bored with a routine schedule. Maybe you’ll feel more motivated early in the morning or as the day draws to a close.
- Find a friend to walk or workout with; help each other stay motivated.
- Mix up your workouts. Try Ten Minute Trainer one day– It’s only 10 minutes!
- Let yourself have a “cheat meal” IF you’ve done your regular workout. Sometimes a little reward can keep you on track…just don’t do this one on a daily basis.